The Plumber's Blog


Permits – to pull or not to pull?

Posted in Blog by Blair
Comments: Comments Off on Permits – to pull or not to pull?

In the City of Calgary there are specific requirements as to when you are required to have a gas or plumbing permit pulled for work done in your home. Below are some circumstances where you are required and not required to pull a permit:


  • If you are planning on building, modifying or extending a plumbing system you are required to get a permit from the city prior to starting the work.
  • If you are planning on replacing water/sewer lines in and around your house you will need a permit from the City of Calgary.

Performing this type of work without a permit is against the City of Calgary by-laws. It’s always a good idea to get a permit for extensive plumbing work so that you can ensure it is completed properly, within code and will be covered by insurance.

Not Required:

  • Repair leaks in water or draining systems
  • Replacing faucets and fixtures
  • Repairing or replacing a hot water tanks
  • Removing blockages in the drainage system.

A city-qualified tradesperson can pull a plumbing permit with the City of Calgary. A City qualified tradesperson has been pre-approved, understands what is necessary in the permit application and can apply on-line. At Superior Plumbing, we are city-qualified tradespeople with the City of Calgary and are set up to pull permits for your plumbing jobs.

If you are looking to have any gas work done in and around your home, a permit can ONLY be pulled by a certified gasfitter. Superior Plumbing employs certified gasfitters and are qualified to pull permits within the City of Calgary.

Here is a list of FAQ from the City of Calgary Technical Assistance Center, further information can be found on their website.

City of Calgary – Technical Assistance Center

Do I need to pull a permit for my new hot tub?

Yes, Electrical and Plumbing Permits are required. Depending on the structure that the tub is built on and around a Building Permit may also be required. If the hot tub is installed on the interior of a building then a HVAC permit may also be required for ventilation. A Development Permit may also be required depending on where on your property you want to place the hot tub.

Do I need a permit to replace my hot water heater?

Not normally, however if there changes to the gas line or venting, a permit may be required.

Can a homeowner apply for a gas permit?

No. Only a licensed gasfitter is allowed to apply for a gas permit.

Do I need a permit to replace bathroom or kitchen fixtures?

No, a permit is not required to replace fixtures. It is only required if you modify the plumbing system or change the location of the fixtures.

Comments are closed.